Biosearch is the first Italian biotech company dedicated to research on pharmaceuticals and innovative products from marine microalgae. It is an original hub including public research institutions with complementary and synergic activities. The Company will develop new compounds of natural origin for biotechnological applications including: Pharmaceuticals, Cosmetics and Nutraceuticals.
The company strategy is to grow through external outsourcing and alliances with academia and private entities to further develop its proprietary products. An important activity of Biosearch is dedicated to technological innovation aimed at the discovery of new bioactive compounds, to improve production processes and optimize products under development.
BioSEArch Srl, founded in 2016 as a spin-off between the Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry of the National Research Council (ICB-CNR) and the Zoological Station of Naples ‘Anton Dohrn’ (SZN), is the first Italian biotechnology company dedicated to drug research and innovative products from marine microalgae. This spin off represents an entrepreneurial initiative for the transfer of knowledge and the economic enhancement of found, know-how and skills of research conducted at the Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry (Pozzuoli headquarters) of the CNR. In fact, starting from the consolidated experience of its founders, new products are being developed, active in the pharmaceutical, nutraceutical and cosmetic fields, generated by their own research. High quality candidates are being characterized in the preclinical phases and may be the subject of specific collaborations with private partners. The company’s vision is to be recognized as a leader in the discovery of innovative marine microalgae-based products. A portfolio of four interesting products and well characterized marine microorganisms has already been developed. Its business model is validated through the presence of collaborations and synergies between all partners. To date, two major projects in collaboration with other partners support the development of the company’s products (Project “C3 – Carbon Capture & Conversion” and POR project “ADViSE – Antitumor Drugs and Vaccines from the Sea” of which the ICB-CNR is leader).
There are different advantages for the CNR deriving from this activity: (1) improvement of internal skills, (2) economic enhancement (regulated by specific agreements) of research products, (3) expansion of the possibilities to participate in national and international projects, (4) improving the interaction between research structures and companies, (5) opening up to new collaborations.
An important activity of Biosearch is dedicated to technological innovation aimed at the discovery of new bioactive compounds, to improve production processes and optimize products under development. For this purpose Biosearch has developed an integrated approach that involves the following research activities.
- Creation and conservation of a “bioactive microalgal culture” collection with about 100 strains capable of producing bioactive substances with pharmaceutical, nutraceutical and cosmeceutical potential
- Implementation of microalgal biomass from small laboratory scale to medium scale in 100 L photobioreactors to obtain biomass for extraction and development of bioactive products
- Ability to optimize the production of bioactive compounds in microalgae through interventions on metabolic pathways involving changes in growth parameters such as the quality of light and concentration of nutrients
- Management of a fine chemical screening platform for the isolation, purification and structural characterization of bioactive molecules obtained from marine microalgae
- Characterization of the biological activity of extracts, fractions and pure compounds isolated from marine microalgae through an advanced screening platform on human cell lines. Screenings include a number of molecular analyses that allow to predict the type of pharmacological, nutraceutical, and cosmeceutical activity of compounds and produce them at an industrial scale also using synthetic chemistry
- Synthesis at gram scale of biocatice compounds and preparation of chemical analogs for studies of medicinal chemistry and cell biology.
LEGAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE RESIDENCE
c/o Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn
Villa Comunale – 80125 Napoli
Istituto Chimica Biomolecolare – CNR
Via Campi Flegrei 34
80078 Pozzuoli – Napoli
Polo Scientifico e Tecnologico Multimedica
Via G. Fantoli 16/15 – 20138 Milano